1. K-State home
  2. »HNR
  3. »Graduate Programs

Horticulture and Natural Resources

Horticulture & Natural Resources
2021 Throckmorton PSC
1712 Claflin Road
Manhattan, KS 66506

Ph: +1-785-532-6170
Fx: +1-785-532-6949

General Information 


Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on graduate coursework and on courses in the program of study. A grade point average lower than 3.0 will result in probation. Students must achieve a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher in the first 9 credit hours to remove the probation status.


Students should check with their major professor for building keys they may need, as the major professor initiates paperwork to obtain keys through the Department’s Administrative Assistant. Each key will have an individual issue number assigned to the student so do not give key(s) to someone else. After completion of their work, keys should be returned to the Department’s Administrative Assistant.


Mail for graduate students is placed in the graduate student mail slots in the mail center located in the departmental main office, 2021 Throckmorton. The departmental mailing address is:

Your name
Department of Horticulture and Natural Resources
1712 Claflin Rd - 2021 Throckmorton
Manhattan, KS 66506-5506

Office Space

Specific offices on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors of Throckmorton are dedicated graduate student offices. The Director of the Graduate Program will assist you in the location of available desks.

Professional Meetings

Students, if time permits and research conflicts do not develop, are encouraged to attend professional society meetings and to present papers of research activities. The Graduate Student Council and many professional societies offer travel grants to students. In addition, your major professor may provide some travel funds.


Departmental use of the photocopying machine is limited to authorized teaching, research, and extension requirements. Operating hours are limited to regular office hours (8:00 am – noon and 1:00 – 5:00 pm). Check with your major professor to find out their policy regarding using the department's copy machines, as copies that graduate students make are charged to an account of their major professor.

Registration and Residence

Full-time students admitted to graduate study register and pay fees during the regular registration period. Master’s students must complete at least 18 semester hours of graduate work in residence at K-State. Ph.D. students must spend at least one year in residence at K-State.

Students on assistantships must enroll in at least 6 credits for fall and spring semesters. The maximum number of credit hours a graduate student can enroll is 10 hours for a 0.5 appointment and 12 hours for a 0.4 appointment for the fall and spring semesters. The corresponding maximums for a summer term are 5 and 6 hours, respectively.

Degree candidates must be enrolled the semester the degree is completed. In addition, Ph.D. students must enroll the semester of the prelim examination and each subsequent semester until the degree is conferred. If the graduate program must be interrupted, the student (with approval of the major professor) may petition the department and Graduate School for a leave of absence (which may be extended if necessary).

Research Facilities and Equipment

Laboratory, growth chamber, greenhouse, field, and equipment research needs should be coordinated through your major professor.


The Department cannot provide supplies for personal use. All supplies for research and teaching purposes must be obtained through your major professor.


All graduate students should discuss and arrange in advance periods of absences with their major professor.

Vehicle Use

The department and individual faculty have vehicles to support the teaching, research, and extension work of the department. Check with your major professor regarding use of any of the vehicles. Reservations for departmental vehicle use is required and done in the main office, 2021 Throckmorton.

Worker Protection Safety (WPS) Training

Any students that will be working in the greenhouses or at the research stations must have Worker Protection Safety training. This is mandatory training required by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Several training sessions are offered on campus at the beginning of each semester. Check with your major advisor or the Greenhouse Manager for the training schedule. The training is valid for five years.

Parking Services

Students may purchase a parking permit to park on campus in lots near the Throckmorton Plant Sciences Center; however, parking on public streets is also available for free close to the building. Cost to purchase a permit is available from the Parking Services website and can be purchased at Parking Services in Edwards Hall. Bicycles must also have permits to be parked on campus. These are available at no cost from Parking Services in Edwards Hall.