Horticulture Scholarships Available
Scholarship announcements along with due dates are posted to The Week In Preview (TWIP.)
KANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
Apply through K-State by Nov. 1, (senior year of high school) or Feb. 1, prior to each academic year (K-State scholarship page).
Contact Dr. Cathie Lavis, firstname.lastname@example.org
- American Society for Horticulture Science: Applications typically due in early February. Visit with your academic advisor if interested. https://ashs.site-ym.com/?page=Student
- Annie's Homegrown Sustainable Agriculture Scholarship Program: Annie's believes healthy farms are the foundation for healthy foods (which help make healthy people!), so it is proud to support the next generation of sustainability stewards. Apply online.
- Davey Tree Expert Company Grant Program: Application due late September.
- Federated Garden Clubs Of Missouri: The two students selected by our committee as the most outstanding will be submitted to Central Region as an applicant and to National Garden Clubs, Inc. as a Missouri applicant, and will compete for a Central Region scholarship and National scholarship. Missouri students have received these prestigious awards several times.
- Garden Club of America Scholarship: Numerous scholarships are available, click here.
- Garden Writers Association Foundation Scholarships: $250 to $2,000 scholarships for juniors and seniors interested in garden communication and photography. Applications are typically due mid-December. www.gardenwriters.org/gwa.php?p=gwafoundation/student_scholarships.html
- Gardeners of America, Inc, Men's Garden Clubs of America, Inc: ($1000) Applications typically due in January. http://www.tgoa-mgca.org/
- GCSAA Scholars Competition: Selection criteria for this program includes academic excellence, work experience, extracurricular activities and potential to become a leading professional in the golf course management industry. These scholarships range from $500 to $6,000. Applicants must be enrolled in a recognized undergraduate program in a major field related to turf management, have completed at least 24 credit hours or the equivalent of one year of full-time study in the appropriate major, and be a member of GCSAA. The annual deadline is June 1. For application materials, please contact Amanda Howard, employment administrator, at (800) 472-7878 ext. 4424.
- GCSAA Student Essay Contest: The golf course management profession is the basis of this contest. This program awards scholarships totaling $4,500 to applicants who are undergraduate and graduate students pursuing degrees in turfgrass science, agronomy or any other field related to golf course management. The original essays should be seven to 12 pages in length. The winning essay may be featured in the online version of GCM. The annual deadline is March 31. For application materials, contact Amanda Howard, employment administrator, at (800) 472-7878 ext. 4424. For more information click here.
- HRI Endowment Fund Scholarships: Several scholarships are supported by the ANLA. Application deadline is typically April 1. http://hriresearch.org/index.cfm?page=Content&categoryID=168
- Kansas Associated Garden Club Scholarship: Applicant must be a resident of Kansas who is an advanced student (sophomore, junior, senior, or post-graduate) with grade average of “B” or higher. A recipient may attend the college or university of his/her choice if majoring in Horticulture, Floriculture, Landscape Architecture, Conservation, Ecology, or related subject. The grant is payable to the college or university in which the recipient will be enrolled.
- Kansas Nursery and Landscape Association Scholarship: Applications due in late October.
- Lawrence.net Sustainable Lawncare Leaders Scholarship: For a student pursuing a career in a field related to horticulture, landscaping, or environmental studies. For more information click here.
- National Garden Clubs: ($3,500) Applications are due in March. http://www.gardenclub.org/scholarships
- National Association of Landscape Professionals Scholarships: See https://www.landcarenetwork.org/foundation/index.cfm for applications. Typically due late fall.
- Perennial Plant Association: Five scholarships to college students studying horticulture. Applications are typically due March 1st. www.perennialplant.org/education
- Scholarships: See https://www.landcarenetwork.org/foundation/index.cfm for applications. Typically due late fall.
- Rothwell Landscape, Inc., Manhattan, Kansas is pleased to offer a PLANET Grand to a deserving student and member of PLANET Landscape Contracting Team to off-set the cost of attending PLANET Student Career days and Competition.
- Western Reserve Herb Society Scholarships - Frances Sylvia Zverina Scholarship: ($2,875) Applications due April 1. http://www.westernreserveherbsociety.org/scholarship-programs/
K-State Master Gardener Scholarships:
- Johnson County Master Gardener Scholarship. ($3,000) Typically due late May.
- AFE Floriculture Scholarships: 18 greenhouse industry scholarships are awarded each year; applications are typically due by May 1 and Oct. 1. http://endowment.org/scholarships/
- Association of Specialty Cut Flower Growers: The ASCFG awards $1,000 to a student interested in cut flower production. In addition, the successful applicant will receive a one-year membership in the ASCFG and free registration for the ASCFG National Conference. Applications are typical due in late January. http://www.ascfg.org
- GPN/Nexus Intern of the Year: This scholarship is awarded to an outstanding intern in the greenhouse industry each year. The recipient receives a check for $3,000, their photo on the cover of GPN magazine, and an all-expense paid trip to the OFA Short Course. Applications are typically due on Oct. 31.
- Joseph Shinoda Memorial Scholarship: Awarded to excellent students who plan to enter the domestic floriculture field. Applications are typically due March 30: http://www.shinodascholarship.org/apply.htm
- Mosmiller Intern Scholarship: This program provides $2,000 for a six-week paid internship at a retail florist, wholesaler, or allied trade company. Applications are typically due Mar. 1 and Oct. 1 each year. http://endowment.org/floriculture-scholarshipsinternships/floriculture-internship-scholarships.html
- Vic and Margaret Ball Intern Scholarship Program: This program provides $1,500 to $6,000 supplemental scholarships for 3- to 6-month internships completed at commercial production greenhouses. Applications are typically due Mar. 1 and Oct. 1. http://endowment.org/floriculture-scholarshipsinternships/floriculture-internship-scholarships.html
- Kansas Arborist Association Scholarship: Two-$1000 scholarships awarded in late December. Applications due: December 1 to Dr. Cathie Lavis.
- Lawn and Landscape Horticulture Scholarship: Lawn & Landscape, and its parent company, GIE Media, the leading media company serving the lawn and landscape, golf course, nursery, greenhouse and garden center markets, has established a fund to support academic scholarships for outstanding college students focused on leading in the green industry. Scholarship amounts: $2,500. Eligibility: To be eligible for an academic scholarship or an internship program, you must be enrolled at a recognized two- or four-year college or university working toward a degree in horticulture, environmental science or other field related to a segment of the green industry. Applications must be postmarked by April. Internship Application.pdf
- Midwestern Chapter of International Society of Arboriculture (MWISA): ($1000) Applications due in November. Contact Dr. Cathie Lavis for further information. Applications available via the MWISA website: www.mwisa.org
- Tree Research & Education Endowment Fund: The TREE Fund, awards up to 4 student scholarships annually through its Robert Felix Memorial Fund. Each scholarship is non-repeating but can be applied for annually. The scholarship recipients must be pursuing a career in Arboriculture. The scholarship amounts are $3000 each. The scholarships will be awarded one half in each semester of the school year. http://www.treefund.org/scholarships
- Turf and Ornamental Communicators Association (TOCA): To qualify, students must major or minor in technical communications or a green industry related field such as horticulture, plant sciences, botany, agronomy, plant pathology, etc. The applicant also must demonstrate an interest in using this course of study in the field of communications. Applicants must have an overall GPA of 2.5 or above and a 3.0 in the major area of study (based on a 4.0 scale). Eligibility, as determined by the TOCA Board of Directors, extends to two and four year program students attending institutions that offer turf management curriculums. http://www.toca.org/toca-scholarship-2/
- Western Nursery & Landscape Association (ANLA) Scholarship: Awarded to attend the Western Nursery & Landscape Association conference held in early January and to attend the ANLA Management Clinic held in February in Louisville, Kentucky. Applications can be found online and are due in October: http://www.wnla.org/
- Ann Lane Mavromatis Scholarship: You must be nominated for this scholarship; if interested contact Dr. Candice Shoemaker.
- Woman's National Farm and Garden Association's Alice Wessels Burlingame Horticultural Therapy Scholarship: You must be nominated for this scholarship; if interested contact Dr. Candice Shoemaker.
TURF / GOLF COURSE MANAGEMENT:
Contact Dr. Jack Fry (email@example.com)
- Bayer Scholarship: One scholarship available at $1,000. The Trans-Mississsippi scholarship form is used to determine the winners. Note - you do not have to be a golf course student.
- Copple Scholarship (Kansas Golf Association): One scholarship available at $2,000. Application must be sent directly to the KGA by the yearly October date. www.kansasgolf.org/foundation/scholarships/
- Heart of America Golf Course Superintendents Association: Several scholarships available of varying amounts. See www.hagcsa.org/scholarships-1 to download application. Application must be sent directly to HAGCSA by late October.
- Jacobsen Turfgrass Scholarship: Jacobsen, a manufacturer of high-quality turf maintenance equipment used in the golf and sports turf management industries, is pleased to announce the 3rd annual Jacobsen Turfgrass Scholarship for rising college seniors pursuing 2 or 4 yr. degrees in Turf Management or other related disciplines such as Horticulture or Greenspace Management. We invite students at your university to apply for one of the available scholarships. Please find details regarding the Jacobsen Turfgrass Scholarship Program including eligibility requirements, award process online. The deadline for applications is May. If you have any questions regarding Jacobsen’s scholarship program, please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 704-714-6109.
- Kansas Chapter Golf Course Superintendents Association of America (GCSAA): $1000. Applications due in August.
- KGCSA Cliff Dipman Internship Award: Consists of two $2,000 awards to Kansas State University students working at a golf course whose superintendent is a member of the KGCSA. One will be directed to a student doing an internship at a 9-hole golf course, and one doing an internship at an 18-hole facility. Application due April 1.
- Sports Turf Managers Association Scholarship Program: SAFE annually awards scholarships to students who are planning a career in the sports turf industry. Since its inception, the SAFE Foundation has presented more then $150,000 in scholarships and travel to the STMA Conference and Exhibition to more than 75 students. http://www.stma.org/scholarship-program-0
- Trans Mississippi Golf Association Scholarships: www.trans-miss.com One scholarship available at $3,000 and one at $1,500 Pick up application on Dr. Keeley's door; include resume with application. Must be returned to Dr. Keeley approximately mid-October.