Distinguished Alumni Award
The Distinguished Alumni Award is our departmental award recognizing alumna or alumnus of the Department of Horticulture and Natural Resources who have distinguished themselves in their career, service and achievements to community, state, or nation.
The recipient visits the department, interacts with students, presents a lecture, and receives a plaque with the designation "Distinguished Alumnus (or Alumna) Award".
Nomination Deadline: April 1
Past Distinguished Alumnus
|2014||Dr. Ted Bilderback||Professor and Director of the JC Raulston Arboretum, Department of Horticultural Science, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC. (Ph.D. 1976)|
|2012||Michael Ensch||Chief (retired), Operations and Regulatory Community of Practice, Directorate of Civil Works, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Washington, D.C. (BS 1972)|
|2011||Darrell Westervelt||Owner Blueville Nursery, Manhattan, KS (MS 1959)|
|2010||Joseph J. Brady||Owner, Brady Nursery 1952-2007, Wichita, KS (BS 1950)|
Criteria for Consideration:
- Career endeavors have made a significant impact on the profession
- Contribution of service to local, state, and/or national community
- Highest standards of integrity and character that exemplifies the spirit of Kansas State University and the Department of Horticulture and Natural Resources
- Undergraduate or graduate degree from the Department of Horticulture and Natural Resources (previously the Department of Horticulture, Forestry, and Recreation Resources)
- A period of at least 10 years from receipt of undergraduate or graduate degree
Requested information for nomination:
- Nominator's Information: Full name, address, email address, phone number, relationship to nominee
- Nominee's Information: Full name, address, email address, phone number, degree(s) and graduation year(s) from Kansas State University
- Letter of Nomination: highlight the major accomplishments of the nominee, the impact their contributions have on their professional field, community or society, and why the nominee merits selection for the award (three page maximum)
- Nominee's vitae, resume, or formal biography (two page maximum).
Nominations will be accepted by mail or email.
Mail to: Sam Reyer, Alumni Award
Horticulture and Natural Resources
1712 Claflin Rd. - 2021 Throckmorton
Manhattan, KS 66506